Monthly Archives: April 2012

Camera Rig Nonsense

Boot Cam

  • Step 1: Drill a hole in an old boot
  • Step 2: Screw a dowel into the toe of the boot
  • Step 3: Put camera in boot
  • Step 4: Smash things with boot

So I had a couple of hours to spare today, and I needed to get these camera rigs on their way.  I’ve had a raimi-esque shot in mind for a face stomp in the film for a couple of months now.  It turns out that it’s a fairly simple build, which is good since we only need it for one shot.  It actually seems more difficult to light than anything, but that’s Nick’s problem. 😉

Also!!!  I got this neat little flycam contraption in from India.  Since Nick’s sold off his professional steadicam, I decided to try out one of these really cheap stabilizers from ebay.  It works pretty well actually.  I had a nightmare balancing the thing, until I realized the power button switching from off to on threw the whole thing off.  This thing WOULD NOT WORK if we were using cameras much bigger than the mighty little GH13.  Still, for less than $150, I’m really happy with the results.

NOW, watch a couple of seconds of me smashing my shoe with a boot and some raw flycam footage.


Meet Joe!

It’s been about two weeks since the indiegogo wrapped up, and my last post here.  There’ve been a few developments recently.

The biggest news is that Bill Finkbiner will be playing Joe.

Bill Finkbiner

We all feel the physical contrast between Bill and Bill…wait… “Bill” and “Joe” is exactly what we were looking for.  Don’t let the collared shirt and pleasant disposition deceive you.  The guy is a six-foot-tall bodybuilder, and plays a pretty convincing racist.

I’ll get a cast page for Bill with a bio and some sample videos in the next week.

Some new camera rigs are almost ready.  I desperately need to meet up with Nick for some test shots.  I think we might meet up and make a little short with elements from Coyote if all goes as planned.

Still no progress on finding a dog.  There’ve been several leads that have lead nowhere and wasted some time, but I remain optimistic that we won’t have to use an untrained animal (I guess it wouldn’t be SO terrible).

Art direction is coming along nicely.  We’ve gotten quite a few generous donations, and accumulated enough “junk” to accommodate about 1/8 of my basement.  Most of Bill’s wardrobe is complete.  We’re still looking for more taxidermy, tents, and lots and lots of paper.

Storyboards are progressing SLOWLY.  I’m about 30 pages into it.  That’s over 1/3!

Back to work!